A few years ago in Vegas, I came across Salad Pizza for my first time. It was on the menu of some restaurant that I can't recall the name of, and I remember thinking how weird it sounded. Of course I had to order it.
The Salad Pizza was great! It was basically a garden salad with balsamic dressing piled onto a warm pizza crust, with shaved parmesan on top. Simple, light, and very flavourful. Once I got home, I began playing around with the recipe and eventually came up with this version, which is my favorite. It's super easy to make, so have at 'er!
1 pre-made pizza crust (I prefer the "cheesy" kind)
4oz. package of plain goat cheese
2 tsp. olive oil (use flavoured oil if you have it!)
1 bag of mixed salad greens
1 tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
salad dressing, to taste (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. While the oven preheats, brush the top surface of the pizza crust with olive oil, and crumble the goat cheese on top.
2. Throw the goat cheese-topped pizza crust into the oven, directly on the oven rack. Bake it for about 10 minutes, until the crust begins to brown and the goat cheese gets nice and warm.
3. In the meantime, toss the greens and chopped tomato with the salad dressing, to taste.
4. When the pizza crust comes out of the oven, pile the dressed greens on top. Grind some fresh pepper on top, slice the pizza, and dig in!
Honey Balsamic Dressing
2 tsp. dijon mustard (honey dijon or grainy works well too)
2 tsp. honey
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Whisk together mustard, honey and vinegar in a bowl (or use a jar with a good seal, and shake the mixture up). Slowly stream in olive oil while you continue to whisk, until well combined (if using the jar method, add a little olive oil at a time, shaking thoroughly after each addition).