edible adventures from the centre of the universe

23 August 2007

The Taste of Tuna-Love is Sweet

Thanks to a link from Elise's delicious-sounding Tarragon Tuna Melt post over at Simply Recipes, I have a bunch of new visitors today. Welcome!

Elise wasn't the only one who had some fun with tuna melts this week. We've been battling some chilly weather here in Toronto, so I was craving tropical flavours -- if I can't have summer outside, at least I can have it on my plate. Because sweet and spicy is pretty much the best combo ever, I decided to pimp my tuna with bold jalapeno and cheery fresh pineapple. To build on the "island" theme, I added some of my favourite curry powder and smoky, rich ancho. Savoury red onion and cilantro rounded everything out, while gooey spicy cheese finished each bite with an extra layer of heat. I took a picture, but it really didn't do these bad boys justice. Give them a try -- like Dave and I, I bet you'll fall for them like a child.

(BA BADA BADA BA DA BA)

Ring of Fire Tuna Melts

1 can tuna, drained
2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped
1/4 cup pineapple, diced
2 tbsp cilantro, finely sliced
1 tbsp good quality curry powder
1 tsp ancho powder
2 tbsp light mayonnaise
2 english muffins
4 slices spicy monterey jack cheese

1. Mix tuna, onion, jalapeno, pineapple, cilantro, curry powder, ancho powder, and mayonnaise in a bowl until well combined.
2. Open the english muffins and broil until lightly browned. Remove from broiler, and scoop 1/4 of the tuna mixture onto each muffin half. Finish with a slice of monterey jack.
3. Put the muffins back under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Dig in!

Serves 2

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me as a new visitor. Also count me as a new fan. We had the goat cheese and artichoke hearts tuna melts tonight and they were a big hit. Now we'll have to try this new recipe, too. Thanks. I'm looking forward to exploring your blog some more. I'm a newbie blogger and yours is an inspiration.

9:15 PM

 
Blogger Alana said...

Thanks for the kind words, Susan! I'm glad you liked the artichoke heart recipe -- I think I actually prefer this one, and I hope you enjoy it as well!

9:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home