edible adventures from the centre of the universe

30 May 2007

Alana's First Garden

While my mom was in town this weekend, she was nice enough to plant me a patio container garden! I now have three large planters growing yummy goodies such as strawberries, jalapenos, cherry peppers, corn, carrots, swiss chard, kale, spinach, fennel, tomatillos, and a wide variety of herbs. I can't wait to harvest and cook from my own garden! Here's a picture of the just-planted veggies:

I love how the light goes through the bright red swiss chard stalks. Here are my herbs:

That's purple basil in the middle -- I'm pumped to make some purple pesto! I'll be blogging more about my garden this summer as things sprout, flower, and/or ripen. Stay tuned!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

That's a LOT of planting. How big is your balcony??? Sounds like in a month or two, you'll be able to just pop outside and grab some dinner! Aren't moms wonderful sometimes?

8:50 PM

 
Blogger Alana said...

We got lucky -- we have a pretty huge balcony with lots of growing space. I'm a little worried that we crammed too much into the containers, but we'll just have to see how it turns out. Yep, without my mom, my outdoor plants would be limited to a few waterlogged day lilies and dead grass left over from last year!

9:35 PM

 
Blogger alex said...

Aww, Alana. Your mom is awesome!

alex

9:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home